Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Cleanse: Day 1

Today was my first day on The Cleanse and a very busy day at work.  I didn't eat enough for breakfast because I had gorged myself the night before and, therefore, was not very hungry.  When lunch time came around, I was too busy with work to eat all the food I had so carefully and painstakingly packed for lunch.  Big mistake!  By the time I got home I was barely functional.  I felt tired, unfocused and unmotivated....and was seriously craving chocolate and bagels!  But I decided to be "good" and eat foods of The List instead.

The Standard Process Purification Program tells me that I can eat an unlimited amount of vegetables from The List (page 12), but they recommend I consume half of my vegetables raw and that my vegetable intake should be twice that of my fruit intake.  In other words, I should be eating in a 1:1:1 ratio.  For each cup of raw vegetables, I can eat a cup of cooked vegetables and one cup of fruit.  Let's see how I did.

This is what I ate today:

Breakfast
  • 16 fl oz water w/ lemon
  • 2 scoops SP Complete (90 calories, 10 g protein)
  • 7 capsules SP Cleanse
  • 3 capsules Gastro-Fiber
  • 1/2 c. blueberries
  • 3/4 c. strawberries
  • 1/2 c. carrot-orange-pineapple juice (estimate 1/4 c. raw vegetable, 1/4 c. fruit)
  • 16 fl oz ginger tea
Lunch
  • 2 scoops SP Complete (90 calories, 10 g protein)
  • 7 capsules SP Cleanse
  • 3 capsules Gastro-Fiber
  • 8 fl oz water
  • 1/2 c. blueberries
  • 1/2 c. strawberries
  • 1/2 c. beets
  • 1/2 c. carrot-orange-pineapple juice (estimate 1/4 c. raw vegetable, 1/4 c. fruit)
  • 2 c. vegetable soup (olive oil, onion, garlic, celery, carrot, mushroom, zucchini, vegetable broth)
  • 0.5 c. brown rice
Dinner
  • 4 c. mixed salad greens
  • 0.25 c. homemade dressing (olive oil + balsamic vinegar + garlic + maple syrup)
  • 1 sweet potato (estimate 2 c.)
  • 1 c. raw purple cabbage
  • 1 c. grape juice + 20 g whey protein isolate 
  • 1 apple (estimate 1 c.)
Supper
  • 2 scoops SP Complete (90 calories, 10 g protein)
  • 7 capsules SP Cleanse
  • 3 capsules Gastro-Fiber
  • 1/2 c. blueberries
  • 1/2 c. strawberries
  • 1/2 c. fresh-frozen zucchini
  • 1/2 c. carrot-orange-pineapple juice (estimate 1/4 c. raw vegetable, 1/4 c. fruit)
  • 1 teaspoon fish oil
  • 1 1/2 c. cauliflower + olive oil + salt & pepper
  • 16 fl oz water

DAILY TOTALS
Vegetable, raw: 6.25 cups
Vegetable, cooked: 6 cups
Fruit: 6 cups
Water: 7 cups (56 fl oz)
Protein: 63 g  (1.08 g/kg = OK for non-exercise day)
Calories: ~1800 (not enough!)

Ok, I admit it, I just ate 1.5 cups of cauliflower to make my vegetable to fruit ratio look better.  It is such a curious feeling - even though my stomach is so full of vegetable fiber that I can't possibly muscle down another bite, I am still hungry!  My poor stomach cells are working double time to breakdown and extract  calories from the mass of fiber going through my GI tract.

My goal for tomorrow is to eat more food, earlier in the day and continuously throughout the day.  This will help accommodate for the high fiber load and, with continuous calorie intake, allow me to sustain a higher energy level.

No comments:

Post a Comment