Sunday, January 27, 2013

Day 12: "real" protein is wonderful

Choose wild-caught (not farmed) salmon 
Yesterday I ate chicken for breakfast.  Along with 2 cups of sauteed vegetables.  But let's focus on the meat for a moment.

On day 11 of The Cleanse (which I am currently in the middle of), you are allowed to add 2-4 servings of lean meat (chicken or fish), with 1-2 servings being fish.  Since one serving of protein is 3-5 ounces, I automatically interpreted the recommendation to mean "eat up to 20 oz of animal protein per day!"

As you can tell, I was super excited to implement my new-found plan...until I realized just how much protein that is!  For perspective, I rarely eat more than 10 oz of "meat" in my "normal" diet - an egg (1 oz) for breakfast, tuna (5 oz) for lunch, and chicken (3 oz) with dinner.  Therefore, I will probably never eat then full 20 oz of animal protein.  But, on the bright side, I am very much enjoying the addition of new flavors and meal options to the very limited diet that is The Cleanse!  It is SO much better than the whey protein isolate ("fake" protein, i.e. not whole food) I had been eating to maintain my lean body mass.

No comments:

Post a Comment