Friday, March 6, 2015

When you can't climb, run!

Update: I didn't crush hard last Friday like I thought I would.  I actually felt pretty tired and ended up climbing easy and moderate routes.  The same thing happened this past Monday night; I led some 5.10s but struggled to climb 5.11s cleanly.  The mere thought of trying a 5.12 was laughable.  In fact, I'm still shaking my head about it.

I find that, as I get older, I need more rest time in between hard workouts.  This doesn't equate to rest days, per se, but instead requires staggering workouts to allow muscle groups more time to rest.  Although I have desire to climb three days a week every week, I think it might be better to limit to 2 days/week.  On the days when I am not climbing, I plan run, do yoga or strength training.

Thankfully, K had a work event on Wednesday which cinched my decision to give my fingers and shoulders break from climbing.  Instead, I went on a foggy afternoon run.  Starting around 3:30pm, I got in 6 miles and made it home before the rain started (which later turned into snow, shutting down the Federal gov't on Thursday).  Having run a total of 4 miles in the previous 3 weeks, my legs were super fresh and full of glycogen.  I felt so good that I surprised myself by running two 8-minute pace miles in the middle, which was very satisfying after so many weak-sauce climbing sessions.  Despite my ability to run a decent pace without much training, I can tell that I am out of running shape because my quads were sore next day.  Which, to be honest, only motivates me to want to run more and get back into running shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment