Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Can stress make me tired?

I've been feeling tired lately.  This seems weird to me because I've been sleeping at least 7 hours a night, usually 8 or 9.

Anytime I am not feeling 100%, I know that something in my life is "off."  It could be any number of factors, but the first thing I always suspect is my diet.  I worry that I am fatigued because my body is reacting to the foods I am eating in a negative way - either food sensitivities or too much inflammation in the body.  So, of course, the first plan I envision to "fix" my fatigue is to go on an elimination diet or an anti-inflammatory diet.

You know what they say: if all you have a is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail, haha. 

However, when I told this to my boyfriend, K, he shook his head at me (in a compassionate way) and suggested that, perhaps, the reason I am tired is because, even thought I am sleeping enough, I am still working long hours and I am too hard on myself.  So I thought about what he said...

  • It's true that I was upset with myself last week when I failed to get out of bed at 7:30 each day, like I had planed (although I consistently rose by 8:30am, without alarm, each day) and because I didn't get as many items crossed of the "to do" list as I had hoped.
  • It's also true that I have been focusing on elimination and anti-inflammatory diets a lot lately.
    • My article on anti-inflammatory diets for rock climbers was published in the Sportrock Blog March 1, 2015.
    • I am halfway through Michelle Babb's book Anti-inflammatory Eating Made Easy: 75 Recipes and Nutrition Plan.
    • I am also studying to become a Certified LEAP Therapist (CLT), a program which focuses on eliminating foods, determined by MRT blood test, that cause an inflammatory response in the patient.
...and perhaps he is right.

I worked a staff shift at Sportrock tonight and had a blast.  I got to know co-workers, learned new behind-the-desk skills, I helped people, I sold a membership ($25 commission, yeah!) and I talked to some friends who came in to climb.  And I didn't feel tired once!  I even had enough energy when I clocked out at 9pm to go for a 5 mile run + stretching yoga + foam rolling!

Thinking more about what energizes me, I suspect that, although I am more of an introvert than an extrovert, I do need human interaction and external validation to feel my best.  Despite the low hourly wage, I will continue to work at Sportrock for opportunity for social interaction and immediate gratification.  It takes months to build a business, but only hours to memorize the directions to the gym and how much each membership costs.

I never considered how challenging it would be to go into private practice.  There are SO many tasks to complete when you are the only employee.  I play the role of founder, owner, CEO, CFO, secretary, insurance biller, bookkeeper, head of marketing and development, etc.  No wonder I am tired - I have to keep track of all of the details for all these positions and keep all the balls rolling in the right direction.  Phew, it's a mind workout for sure!

I am grateful for the the loving support of my friends and family (especially K) who prevent me from becoming a work-a-holic by asking me to hang out (climb, lunch, etc) and reminding me to take time for myself, too.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, guess what!? I started my own business too, only it's not legally able to take tax deductions, despite how many different ways I look at it. It's called Colombini Household. I am all of those things you are too, only I lack a desk and I have a little monster that pulls on me if I sit down for more than 5 min. at a time. It IS hard, regardless of monsters or secondary jobs. But isn't it fun being that organized? Lol, if only I could get it organized to begin with. Today I am in the roll of waste management...it's garbage and recycling day.

    Stress does physically effect your diet! I eliminated yeasty gluten (flat breads were okay...don't know why) for a year and it helped. I wish though that I could have eliminated the stress first. I see it as a cycle, stress to physical response to stress to back and forth. And the best solution (for me) is to look at what causes less stress, fixing the original stresser, or eliminating the food until the stresser can be fixed.

    Also, you are the most healthy person I know. You WILL be okay, no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am here to tell you about a natural remedy that is
    guaranteed to make you wonder why your doctor didn't tell
    you about it. Then, on the other hand, it is pretty obvious
    why your doctor didn't, because that's not his job, is
    it? But, seriously, promise me you won't get too angry
    with your health practitioner, it's really not their
    fault. They can only practice what they're told to
    practice, right?When your health is at risk there's no time for Tom
    foolery, you've got to get down to the cause and nip it
    in the bud. So you've been suffering from painful gout
    attacks have you? Well, allow me to give you a new
    perspective on the solution to what plagues you I was once in your shoe until my college friend introduce me to Dr Itua herbal center which cure my hiv/herpes after drinking it for two weeks as instructed, Dr Itua is an africa herbal doctor who has natural power to cure the following diseases: Herpes,Hiv,Hepatitis B,Fibroid,Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic,Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic.
    As Dr Itua assure me that all those disease below that he guaranty 100% permanent cure to all these disease I believe Dr Itua so much because he help me cure my hiv/ herpes which has being my burden in life so I promised Dr Itua that I will testify about his work online after curing me and that is what I'm doing here so please if you are suffering from those diseases do not hesitate to write Dr Itua Herbal Center On Email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or chat with him on whatsapp: +2348149277967.

    ReplyDelete