Sunday, January 19, 2014

Why Sugar Makes Us Feel Good

I just read a great article from NPR called Why Sugar Makes Us Feel Good.  It is very well done and I recommend you read it or at least watch the short TED-Ed video.  Below are my thoughts, as inspired by the article.

Sugar once in a while is OK, but eating sugar in large quantities, every day turns the innocuous substance into an addictive drug.  We used to eat 2 lbs of sugar each year, now we consume 153! (from dhhs.nh.gov)  Many of my clients have sugar addiction and cravings.  I seems that the more you eat, the more you want to eat.  To help them kick the habit, I recommend they start cutting back little bit by little bit by substituting nutrient-dense foods for the sugary snacks.  It is also important to remember that the hardest time to say NO to a craving is the first time.  With each subsequent time you say NO, the cravings get less intense and, eventually, go away.  At least that is how it worked for me.

I used to be addicted to sugar.  At my undergraduate school, we could eat our fill in the all-you-can-eat cafeteria, but I would sneak cookies out the door with me to eat later.  Study break sweets?  I gobbled them up.  Any time candy, cookies, or cakes were offered, I could not resist them.

Today, those same sugary treats no longer hold any power over me.  I can easily say "no thanks" when offered a doughnut or slice of cheesecake.  As I changed my diet, my taste preferences changed, too.  I no longer crave the foods I once did.  Part of the reason is because I know they are "bad" for me and part of the reason is because they don't taste the same as they used to.

I used to make chocolate chip cookies and down six of them right out of the oven.  Now, when I make chocolate chip cookies, they taste like sugary flour (i.e. have no complex/savory flavors) and eating one makes me feel slightly ill.

I wish I knew exactly what changed (my body, my mind, my stress level?) to make it easier for me to say no; I wish I could share in more detail.  All I know for sure is that it gets easier, you just have to start saying NO to sugar, start saying YES to fresh vegetables, fruits and other nutrient-dense foods, and never give up.
Fruit, like pomegranate, makes a great dessert!


No comments:

Post a Comment