Friday, January 24, 2014

How do I lower my cholesterol?

I gave a lecture at Mustard Seed Market last week and the topic of cholesterol came up while I was talking about the many benefits of fiber.

[Tangent #1] Fiber, as you probably know, is amazing!  In addition to helping you feel full and slowing absorption of sugars (glucose) into the bloodstream, fiber can bind to dietary cholesterol and prevent excess cholesterol from being absorbed from the small intestine into the bloodstream, which can help lower overall cholesterol.

Apparently, I was not comprehensive enough.  A woman came up to me after the lecture and told me that "cholesterol is necessary" and I should do more research. Haha!  The topic of the lecture was "Get the Skinny on Healthy Weight Management and More!"  The goal was to inspire people to eat more vegetables and fruits, which are loaded with fiber and phytonurients to slow digestion and nourish the body, respectively.  Lipids (commonly called fats) are a different topic entirely and, to do them justice, would have require many more minutes of lecture and discussion.

Instead of haranguing you about it here, I recommend you watch this wonderful video produced by Dr. Mark Hyman, MD, who mirrors my thoughts on the best way to measure cholesterol (i.e. VAP Cholesterol Profile), Statin drugs, and how to achieve healthy cholesterol by changing your diet and lifestyle - all in about 7 minutes!

6 Steps to Healthy Cholesterol, Or Why You Should Stop Your Statins Now

No comments:

Post a Comment