Monday, November 18, 2013

Strawberries in November?!

I just picked a red strawberry from my container garden!  This is crazy because strawberries are very much a spring fruit and yet it is halfway through November!  The leaves of the plant are in the correct season - turning red, like all the trees around my apartment complex - yet the plant is bearing fruit 6 months too late.  Amazing.

Please note that this is the same strawberry plant that kept getting nibbled to the nubbins by rabbits in my backyard garden in Falls Church.  Remember how I transplanted it into a pot and brought it with me when I moved to Alexandria?  Well, I guess it was super excited to finally grow.  So excited that it produced several little white flowers in October.  And one of those little white flowers turned into a tiny, green strawberry.

November 1
Sorry this is blurry...
Over the last 17 days, that tiny, green strawberry ripened into an inedible morsel that was so fragile it fell off when I touched it earlier today....

November 18 - tiny strawberry in my fingers
Ah nature, how you always want to survive and procreate.  It never ceases to amaze me.

No comments:

Post a Comment