Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Eggs are not created equal

Last week I traveled to NYC for work.  On the plane, I ate two free-range, omega-3-rich eggs that I had purchased at Whole Foods and hard boiled the night before.  They were delicious.  The yolks were bright yellow and savory and the whites were firm yet tender.

This morning, on the flight to Boston, I ate two hard boiled eggs, purchased at an airport kiosk.  I knew that I had made a mistake as soon as I took the first bite.  The whites were rubbery and the yolks were pale and flavorless.  I imagine that the chicken who laid the airport eggs lived its whole life in a metal cage, stacked in columns with other chickens, eating antibiotic-laced GMO-cornmeal.  I did not feel well-nourished after eating them.








The difference between these eggs was amazing.  Even more amazing is how the appearance and flavor of eggs is largely, if not entirely, dependent on the diet and lifestyle of the chicken (sound familiar?).  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to infer that eggs with more flavorful and colorful yolks have a higher nutrient profile than eggs with pale, flavorless yolks.  

I encourage you to try this experiment at home to see (and taste) the difference for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment