Saturday, May 4, 2013

Spring is here! Time for planting!

I returned from my topical vacation to Maui to find spring in full-force.  Everything is in bloom around my house.  So many colors! I can't go outside without feeling inspired.  And hoping to inspired others, too.

As part of the Northern District Virginia Dietetic Association (NDVDA), I am helping Franconia Elementary School start a school yard garden.  I met with the Student Council Association (SCA), recently, to get them rev'd up about the garden and jump-start their service learning project: creating shade maps!  The student representatives from each grade (~30 students, ages 8 - 13) will determine the best location to build raised beds next spring.

On my way home from the meeting, I visited the local garden center, Nalls Produce, and met Sue Brinner, a former high school teacher from Illinois who has helped other schools implement gardens.  We chatted for about 20 minutes and she has agreed to help with the project!  She also talked me into some beautiful rainbow chard sprouts and I added a Yukon Gold seed potato, to try out something new.

When I got home, I opened my my compost bin, expecting to find decaying, freeze-dried worms.  Instead, I found healthy, live worms and sprouting seeds!  Not sure how things grow in there without direct sunlight.  Nature always finds a way.

The VA Cooperative Extension recommends planting after April 20 in this region, but I waited until today (May 4) to plant because it's been getting cold at night the past couple weeks and I want to give my little seeds and seedlings the best chance at survival.

I am trying out something new this year: containers!  I have garlic chives, spinach, chard and potatoes in pots (portable, in case I move this summer).  The extra chard and potatoes, I planted in the ground.  It will be an experiment to see what grows best, where.

"Bright Lights" rainbow chard

Since the zucchini did so well last year, I planted another round of that, too.  It's in the same location as last year, so I expect it to do well.  Unfortunately, I cannot plant zucchini in a container to take with me because it spreads out and takes up so much room.  Same story for pumpkins.




No comments:

Post a Comment