Saturday, April 25, 2009

Intention

I love Saturdays.

On the weekends, I get to sleep in and then make myself a leisurely breakfast. This morning, I created a variation of "Eggs in a Nest" from Barbara Kingsolover's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.

Fresh, local, organic kale,
sautéed in olive oil with onions and garlic. Add a water/apple cider vinegar mixture and braise for a few minutes. Make an indentation in the greens and crack an egg. Cover and cook a few minutes more, depending on your yolk preference (runny or firm). Serve over aromatic basmati rice with succulent orange slices on the side.
Oranges, although not local, provide vitamin c to help absorb iron from the kale.


I take the first bite and the tender kale nearly melts in my mouth, savory and hearty. The gooey yolk runs and mixes with greens. The result is magical. I chew slowly and thoughtfully, savoring the moment. Swallow. Take a breath. I select an orange slice, the juices filling my mouth with delicious sweetness. I am transformed. I can literally feel my body being nourished by this nutrient-dense breakfast.

I wish every meal could be like this. Most mornings I find myself running out the door,
tea in hand and a piece of peanut butter toast hanging out of my mouth, hurrying to get to class on time. The experience is dramatically different. And my stomach lets me know, with GI discomfort sometimes plaguing me 24 hours later.

How often do we rush through our meals? Do we ever really TASTE what we are eating? I know I am guilty of this more than I would like to admit. And how many times do we skip lunch, trying to get that last little bit of paperwork done? Again, I raise my hand with shame.

Intention. It's not enough to just choose good quality food. Another important aspect of eating with integrity is to be in the moment and really appreciate and give thanks for the food that is nourishing you.


Instead of writing a long list of tips on how to eat more mindfully, I will refer you to this excellent (and entertaining) youtube video.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment